Stoke City
2 (1.6%)
Other
2 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Reply #150Thu 16/02/12 at 12:34

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
Sky Bet's top four odds: 1/16 Tottenham, 5/6 Chelsea, 5/4 Arsenal, 7/2 Liverpool, 16/1 Newcastle.

Reply #151Mon 20/02/12 at 21:01

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
True, although we haven't won as much as I would like, we're not losing games, which although frustrating, is actually quite a positive. It seems defensively we're pretty solid, and when you look at our team, there has only been one introduction in the back 5 / 6, with only Enrique being the new member.

When looking at our mid / attack, we've pretty much replaced the entire front 5, with Suarez, Carroll, Downing, Adam and Henderson. Arguably they are starting to gel now and attacking we look a lot better than we have previously. Hopefully we'll beat Cardiff on the weekend and that'll galvanise the squad for a strong finish. I definitely think it's doable and I've put a cheeky bet on us getting top 4.

Yes, the defending and unbeaten home record is excellent - but I would rather have lost a couple of home games and won the rest.

Downing and Henderson haven't gelled at that is one of the biggest problems. They have one goal and two assists in the Premiership between them and that is nowhere near good enough for 35m-40m worth of signings in February. It's a damning statistic, in fact.

Charlie Adam has two goals and six assists in the league, which is a hell of a lot better and probably about what we could expect from him and his pricetag.

Craig Bellamy has six goals and two assists in the league, Andy Carroll has three goals and no assists, Dirk Kuyt has one of each, Suarez has six goals and one assist while Enrique is yet to find the net but has two assists.

Surprisingly though, Steven Gerrard has only one goal and no assists in the Premiership.

We really don't have anyone that is scoring enough or providing enough. That is the problem and has been all season.
Reply #152Mon 20/02/12 at 21:20

Nicho

• Kopworld Moderator
Do you not think that the shock at the nature of the defeat at Bolton has had a tranforming affect on the side. Other than the performance at Old toilet they've improved game on game. Last night was a good performance but more importantly the team spirit seemed to have increased tremendously. Dare I say it is a siege mentality resulting from the Suarez debacle. Ferguson's attempted undermining of the team  looks to have truely back-fired on him. The c**t.
你來紅的男子
Reply #153Mon 20/02/12 at 21:26

jcallen29

• Kopworld Moderator
Hopefully things are falling into place at just the right time.
Reply #154Tue 21/02/12 at 10:16

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
I thought the Spurs was very winnable, but it was the same old story when it comes to Anfield in the league. We were poor at Old Trafford, but we did well to beat them in the Cup. The 3-0 win over Wolves was very comfortable, but West Brom managed to score five against that lot.

I still don't think we will get fourth. I really hope we will, and we should do given how poor Arsenal and Chelsea have been.
Reply #155Tue 21/02/12 at 11:31

LFC4Eva

• Kopworld's Josemi
Do you not think that the shock at the nature of the defeat at Bolton has had a tranforming affect on the side. Other than the performance at Old toilet they've improved game on game. Last night was a good performance but more importantly the team spirit seemed to have increased tremendously. Dare I say it is a siege mentality resulting from the Suarez debacle. Ferguson's attempted undermining of the team  looks to have truely back-fired on him. The c**t.

Definitely. We were poor against Utd no doubt, but that one game aside we have looked very impressive of late, and if we'd played like that all season we wouldn't even be debating whether we were going to qualify for the CL.
Reply #156Tue 21/02/12 at 12:14

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
If we start winning more home games, we'll have a chance. A very good chance.

We have some tricky fixtures coming up. Arsenal at home will not be easy despite their recent form while Sunderland away will be a very tough fixture since Martin O'Neill has turned their fortunes around massively. Newcastle away is another tough fixture in a similar mould to the Sunderland game. Aside from Wigan at Anfield, our next four Premiership fixtures are not looking favourable.

After March, April looks a lot better for us. Villa, Blackburn, WBA and Fulham are all very winnable games, but Norwich away could prove tricky.

If we are still in the hunt for fourth come May, then the home game with Chelsea could be make or break. While Swansea on their own patch have proved to be no pushovers this season for anyone, but there could be nothing but pride to play for in that game if they avoid the relegation battle and we've either secured or missed out on fourth.

There has already been plenty of twists and turns and there's bound to be plenty more.
Reply #157Tue 21/02/12 at 12:18

EddieC

• Kopworld Admin
Careful Oli, that post sounded slightly positive :D
Reply #158Tue 21/02/12 at 12:21

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
It comes down to improving our home form and also making sure we don't go to Newcastle and Sunderland and lose. We don't want to see Martin O'Neill drag Sunderland into the top four scrap - which could easily happen with their upturn in form coupled with the inconsistency of Arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle and ourselves.
Reply #159Wed 22/02/12 at 09:50

KennyIsKing

• Kopworld's Luis Garcia
With games against Arsenal, Newcastle and Chelsea still to come, it's completely in our own hands. If we can beat all three and drop no more than four points in the other games I think this will be enough to secure 4th.
Reply #160Wed 22/02/12 at 16:05

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
With games against Arsenal, Newcastle and Chelsea still to come, it's completely in our own hands. If we can beat all three and drop no more than four points in the other games I think this will be enough to secure 4th.

Going by the rest of our form this season, that won't happen.
Reply #161Wed 22/02/12 at 21:21

Nicho

• Kopworld Moderator
Going by the rest of our form this season, that won't happen.
Why are you always so positive about the negative  ;D. It could happen. It's a long shot, but it could happen. Couldn't you just say "it probably won't happen" just to soften the blow for us hopeful types.
I feel sorry for your kids if and when you have any. There'll be no Santa or Tooth fairy in their upbringing, will there?  :p
你來紅的男子
Reply #162Thu 23/02/12 at 12:38

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
Why are you always so positive about the negative  ;D. It could happen. It's a long shot, but it could happen. Couldn't you just say "it probably won't happen" just to soften the blow for us hopeful types.

I just don't fool myself with blind hope. I say it as I see it.

The basic points of our season are:

+ Excellent defensively
+ Unbeaten at Anfield
+ Solid away record
- Don't score enough goals
- Draw too many home games
- Lack quality on the flanks
+ Superb cup team

That is four positives to three negatives.

And we might even win a trophy on Sunday  :thumb:
Reply #163Thu 23/02/12 at 13:32

Nicho

• Kopworld Moderator
I just don't fool myself with blind hope. I say it as I see it.

The basic points of our season are:

+ Excellent defensively
+ Unbeaten at Anfield
+ Solid away record
- Don't score enough goals
- Draw too many home games
- Lack quality on the flanks
+ Superb cup team

That is four positives to three negatives.

And we might even win a trophy on Sunday  :thumb:
And that's the point. You will comment about all the negatives freely, but you rarely post anything about the positives, even those you have listed. and when you do, it's only in passing on the way to another negative statement.
Each to their own i suppose, but if I looked on things without any hope and optimism I'd cover myself in Ice cream, sprinkle on some pistachios and finish with a Cherry. (I e I'd be topping myself)
你來紅的男子
Reply #164Thu 23/02/12 at 14:54

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
And that's the point. You will comment about all the negatives freely, but you rarely post anything about the positives, even those you have listed. and when you do, it's only in passing on the way to another negative statement.
Each to their own i suppose, but if I looked on things without any hope and optimism I'd cover myself in Ice cream, sprinkle on some pistachios and finish with a Cherry. (I e I'd be topping myself)

I have said plenty of times that I believe we have the right manager and the right owners in place to solve these problems. I don't, however, think that we have the right players. We have some of the right ingredients in Suarez and Gerrard, but the others aren't up to it. Bellamy clearly is, but he's only ever going to be a bit-part player due to his knee problems.

We can get fourth place, but we've got to sort out the home form for that to happen. We need to score more than an average of 1.17 goals per game at Anfield in the league.

With the the poor form of Arsenal and Chelsea, we should be ready to take full advantage, but we've let too many poor sides come to Anfield and walk away with a point. Aside from Swansea this season, we probably should have won every home game based on possession and chances. But we've only won four. Conversely, we've not lost any - which is fantastic.

From here on in we need to start taking our chances and sending teams home with nothing from Anfield - heroic goalkeeping performance or not.