Stoke City
2 (1.6%)
Other
2 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Reply #15Mon 19/12/11 at 15:39

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
RVP wont be in that vein of form all season either. He cant continue to carry the burden of his side.

I agree. I expect he'll get injured at some point as well.

Remove adverts from this post, click here to register a free account!
Reply #16Mon 19/12/11 at 22:17

Nicho

• Kopworld Moderator
The City - Arsenal game yesterday was the best game not involving Liverpool that I've seen this season. It showed we are still someway behind the topteams but we are closing the gap rapidly. I can only see us getting stronger in the second half of the season and i really do believe we can finish top 3.
你來紅的男子
Reply #17Tue 20/12/11 at 06:38

BigDonga

• Kopworld Elite Member
Its more the weaker teams im worried about, that's the give away that we're still a while off them.
We can easily compete against the top teams, as apart from the Tottenham loss we've either won or looked the far better team.
Reply #18Tue 20/12/11 at 13:02

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
The City - Arsenal game yesterday was the best game not involving Liverpool that I've seen this season. It showed we are still someway behind the topteams but we are closing the gap rapidly. I can only see us getting stronger in the second half of the season and i really do believe we can finish top 3.

I thought it was a very tight and hard-fought game...but not as good as when City visited Anfield. That was like a basketball match, the way the teams attacked as soon as they got possession. It was a real physical encounter as well, and the players must have been shattered after the game.

We put a hell of a lot of effort into every single game, we've just not taken enough of the many chances we create.
Reply #19Tue 20/12/11 at 13:03

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
Its more the weaker teams im worried about, that's the give away that we're still a while off them.
We can easily compete against the top teams, as apart from the Tottenham loss we've either won or looked the far better team.

It's been an issue for many of our sides down the years. It's not been a problem going out and performing against the direct competition, it's the 'lesser' teams like Bradford, Blackpool, Barnsley, Watford or Swansea that have caused us issues.
Reply #20Tue 20/12/11 at 13:22

Nicho

• Kopworld Moderator
I thought it was a very tight and hard-fought game...but not as good as when City visited Anfield. That was like a basketball match, the way the teams attacked as soon as they got possession. It was a real physical encounter as well, and the players must have been shattered after the game.

We put a hell of a lot of effort into every single game, we've just not taken enough of the many chances we create.

I did say the best game not involving Liverpool  ;). I take your point about our game against City being end to end and I think that is part of the reason we do better against the top sides. When we play the likes of the mancs , Chelsea and Arsenal the games are much more open as both sides think they can win. With the lesser teams they will play us hoping not to lose and put out a team to stifle our play. Of course they do this against the other top sides as well. It is the fact that they don't seem to slip up against these teams (well, not as often as us anyway) that shows we still have a way to go to challenge them. But we're not far off now.
你來紅的男子
Reply #21Tue 20/12/11 at 13:28

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
Every game should be treated the same as anyone ever - a must win encounter that requires 100% of effort, passion and performance.

If you take your eye off the ball against anyone in this league, you can suffer.
Reply #22Tue 20/12/11 at 13:42

Nicho

• Kopworld Moderator
I don't disagree with that. And as you said earlier, we tend to put in a high level of effort every game. Unfortunately,on occasions, we lack the guile to break down the ultra defensive sides.
你來紅的男子
Reply #23Tue 20/12/11 at 13:52

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
I don't disagree with that. And as you said earlier, we tend to put in a high level of effort every game. Unfortunately,on occasions, we lack the guile to break down the ultra defensive sides.

I concur.

Wigan away has been a tricky fixture for us in recent years and I am expecting tomorrow to be another tight game. They will be buoyed from the draw against Chelsea and an early goal for us would be the best way to put stem that positivity.

We have been good at hitting teams hard and fast away from Anfield this season and just need to take a few more of our chances to get the results we deserve but have missed out on - like at Stoke and Fulham, for example.
Reply #24Tue 20/12/11 at 14:01

Darlington

• Kopworld's Emlyn Hughes
I find it incredible so many of you think Arsenal are a one man team and that man is RVP.

Sit back and take a more considered look  They were at the start piss poor and down near the bottom and now look at them. I don't mean to be rude but RVP hasn't achieved that alone. They are a side that breaks quickly and then set up the likes of RVP but he would be nothing and not score but for the providing of others.
Song for instance is highly underated for starters and they have Ramsey, Rosicky, Arshavin, Arteta, Walcott etc who surge from midfield.

I am no gunners fan but they have pulled them selves right up there and it isn't just RVP who got them there. They will undoubtedly be a lesser team without him but it wont be the end of Arsenal. They have shown that before when he's been injured. I think they will be a better bet for top for than Chelsea.
Reply #25Tue 20/12/11 at 14:07

Nicho

• Kopworld Moderator
I must have missed that thread, Darlo. I don't recall anyone saying they are a one man team. I think the comment was along the lines that the Arse would miss RVP more than we would miss Suarez. I'm not sure that's true either but I don't think anyone can consider Arsenal as a one man team. But you have to admit he has a massive affect on their results.
If we had someone with his scoring prowess we would be pushing City all the way for top spot!
你來紅的男子
Reply #26Tue 20/12/11 at 14:12

KopThat!

• Kopworld Elite Member
The difference is Darlo, RVP takes a high percentage of his chances. The likes of Walcott, Ramsey, Arshavin, Arteta and Rosicky can be very very wasteful.
Reply #27Tue 20/12/11 at 14:21

Darlington

Indeed KT but he doesn't create those chances all by himself. What I am syaing is you can't call them a one man team.
Reply #28Tue 20/12/11 at 14:25

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
Indeed KT but he doesn't create those chances all by himself. What I am syaing is you can't call them a one man team.

They clearly are not a one-man team, but they do heavily rely on him. He has scored 15 out of 31 goals and also provided 4 assists.

That is a lot to lose if he refuses a new deal.
Reply #29Tue 20/12/11 at 14:28

Darlington

They clearly are not a one-man team, but they do heavily rely on him. He has scored 15 out of 31 goals and also provided 4 assists.

That is a lot to lose if he refuses a new deal.

And what of Ba at newcastle then surely the same applies or Shrek at United who has double the next nearest scorer.

I understand what you are getting at but you can level this at any team where if they lose one or two players they will not be as good as they are.
For instance what would Spurs be without Modric and Bale.