AmericanKopite AmericanKopite
Kopworld Moderator
jcallen29 jcallen29
Kopworld Moderator
Badmoon Badmoon
Kopworld Moderator

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor

Maxi Rodriguez has been named in the Argentina squad for their forthcoming international friendly with Switzerland.

The Liverpool forward is one of 18 players selected by coach Alejando Sabella for the clash, which will be played on February 29 in Berne.

Maxi hasn't figured for Argentina since the 2010 World Cup finals.

Argentina squad

Sergio Romero (Sampdoria), Hugo Campagnaro (Napoli), Cata Diaz (Getafe), Luciano Monzon (Nice), Ezequiel Garay (Benfica), Marcos Rojo (Spartak Moscow), Federico Fernandez (Napoli), Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City), Maxi Rodriguez (Liverpool), Erik Lamela (Roma), Javier Mascherano (Barcelona), Fernando Gago (Roma), Angel Di Maria (Real Madrid), Jose Sosa (Metallist), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Rodrigo Palacio (Genoa), Gonzalo Higuain (Real Madrid) and Sergio Aguero (Manchester City).

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/maxi-gets-argentina-call?

Share Button

Reply #1Wed 15/02/12 at 10:32

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
SUAREZ AND COATES CALLED UP BY URUGUAY

MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay (AP)—Luis Suarez has been called up to Uruguay’s national team despite the recent furor surrounding the Liverpool striker.

Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez named the squad Tuesday for an international friendly against Romania on Feb. 29 in Bucharest.

Tabarez also included forwards Diego Forlan and Edinson Cavani, who helped Uruguay win last year’s Copa America—the continental championship.

Suarez refused to shake hands with Patrice Evra of Manchester United before last Saturday’s Premier League game at Old Trafford. It was the players’ first meeting since Suarez was banned for eight matches for racially abusing the Manchester United defender in October.

Suarez apologized for not shaking Evra’s hand the following day, with Liverpool’s main commercial sponsor raising concerns with the club over the incident.

Uruguay has been the best team recently in South America, finishing fourth in the 2010 World Cup despite a population of only 3.5 million. Uruguay also tops early South American qualifying for the 2014 World Cup in Rio de Janeiro.

———

Team:

Goalkeepers: Fernando Muslera (Galatasaray), Martin Silva (Olimpia, Paraguay)

Defenders: Diego Lugano (Paris Saint Germain), Diego Godin, (Atletico de Madrid), Sebastian Coates, (Liverpool), Maximiliano Pereira, (Benfica), Martin Caceres, (Juventus), Jorge Fucile, (Santos), Gaston Ramirez (Bologna), Mauricio Victorino, (Cruzeiro).

Midfielders: Alvaro Gonzalez, (Lazio), Egidio Arevalo Rios, (Tijuana), Walter Gargano, (Napoli), Sebastian Eguren, (Sporting Gijon), Diego Perez, (Bologna), Nicolas Lodeiro, (Ajax), Cristian Rodriguez (Porto).

Forwards: Diego Forlan (Inter Milan), Luis Suarez (Liverpool), Abel Hernandez, (Palermo), Edinson Cavani, (Napoli), Sebastian Abreu (Botafogo), Sebastian Fernandez (Malaga).

http://sports.yahoo.com/football/news?slug=ap-uruguaysquad
Reply #2Mon 27/02/12 at 11:20

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
Andy Carroll has been overlooked by interim England manager Stuart Pearce for the Holland friendly. I cannot see how Fraizier Campbell deserves a place more than big Andy though. Ridiculous decision by Pearce to select the Sunderland man, who has no chance of going this Summer. That's not to say Carroll deserves to, just an aside.

Let's hope he picks up more decent form either way.
Reply #3Wed 29/02/12 at 20:53

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
And Gerrard goes off injured. f**king typical. :rant:
Reply #4Wed 29/02/12 at 20:56

Nicho

• Kopworld Moderator
Oh f**k. I don't watch England. Does it look serious?
你來紅的男子
Reply #5Wed 29/02/12 at 21:11

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
I don't know. I don't watch them outside of Summer tournaments either!  ;)

Just read it on Facebook.
Reply #6Wed 29/02/12 at 21:17

EddieC

• Kopworld Admin
Kuyt got an assist for Huntelaar's goal - again only going by what I've read.
Reply #7Wed 29/02/12 at 21:57

AmericanKopite

• Kopworld Moderator
England made a comeback to level the game at two, but immediately gave up the winner to Holland. Isn't that just typical England?
You'll Never Walk Alone
Justice For The 96
Reply #8Wed 29/02/12 at 22:37

ChrisLFC

• Kopworld Elite Member
England made a comeback to level the game at two, but immediately gave up the winner to Holland. Isn't that just typical England?

I wouldn't exactly say 'gave up the winner', it was a good attack by Holland and great control by Robben, just unfortunate that it was deflected by Cahill otherwise it would have been a easy save from Hart.

It didn't look much of an injury for Gerrard. Walked off down the tunnel fine, if I was to guess it would be a strain or something but we shall have to wait. My guess is that it's a possibility he won't be in the game against Arsenal.
Reply #9Sun 11/03/12 at 17:23

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
Chris Coleman hints Craig Bellamy could extend Wales career

Wales manager Chris Coleman has given his biggest hint yet that striker Craig Bellamy will prolong his international career.

Bellamy, 32, discussed his future with the Wales boss on Wednesday after captaining his country in the 1-0 friendly defeat against Costa Rica.

"My hunch," said Coleman, "he's in because he loves playing for Wales. He loves Wales.

"You don't get 60 odd caps without that. And he's paid his dues."

Bellamy has been considering his Wales future , but Coleman hopes he will stay on for the 2014 World Cup qualifiers.

The Liverpool striker is fifth in Wales' all-time top goalscorer list with 19 goals.

He won his 68th international cap against Costa Rica, in what was a memorial match to former boss Gary Speed, who died in November.

New manager Coleman has previously talked to Bellamy about extending his international career but is still waiting for a definite answer.

"How much do we want to go to Brazil [for the World Cup finals]?" added Coleman, who took charge of Wales for the first time on Wednesday after being appointed Speed's successor in January.

"How much do we want to want to do well in these qualifiers? Well, if we want to do well, he [Bellamy] has to be part.

"I've told him, without putting extra pressure on him, that it's black and white, and that's the case - you're in or your out."

"It'll be for Craig to come out when he's ready and say what he's going to do."

Former Wales captain Ryan Giggs says it is vital the Liverpool forward continues with the national side.

The Manchester United player was present at Cardiff City Stadium for the Costa Rica game and would like to see his former team-mate continue.

"I think it is very important Craig Bellamy continues for Wales," Giggs said.

"Because of the twin threat of both him and Gareth Bale going down the wing together with [Steve] Morison and [Aaron] Ramsey holding it all together in midfield, they are going to be a tough team to beat."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17196579

I hope he quits international football. His knees can't hack it as it is, let alone with five or more extra games a season.
Reply #10Thu 10/05/12 at 10:09

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18016691

Looks like Bellamy is going to be picked by Wales. Not cool.
Reply #11Mon 04/06/12 at 16:01

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
Liverpool striker Craig Bellamy says he has been included in the Team GB squad for the Olympics.
Coach Stuart Pearce is allowed to name three players over the age of 23 in his 18-man squad - and Wales international Bellamy, 32, has been widely quoted  claiming he has been included.
"I am in the Olympic squad but I was supposed to keep it quiet," he said.
"It's a different challenge. I had a difficult season with Liverpool but the Olympics is a one-off."
Pearce is expected to name his squad for the games later in June.
Former England captain David Beckham, 37, has made no secret of his desire to be included and Manchester United will allow former Wales skipper Ryan Giggs, 38, to feature.
England international Joe Cole, Scotland striker Steven Fletcher and Northern Ireland midfielder Chris Brunt have also been touted as potential over-age players.
Team GB's first fixture is against Senegal at Old Trafford on 26 July.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18320907

And we could do without this too.
Reply #12Sun 10/06/12 at 11:07

Nicho

• Kopworld Moderator
Daniel Agger skippered Denmark to an unexpected victory in their Group B opener against one of the tournament's favourites Netherlands on Saturday night.

The Dutch side boasted an attacking line-up that featured some of the most talented players in European football, like Arsenal's Robin van Persie, Inter Milan's Wesley Sneijder and Bayern Munich's Arjen Robben.

However, after Denmark sprung a counter-attack and snatched the lead in the first half thanks to a well-worked Michael Krohn-Dehli goal, Agger came to the fore defensively to keep the opposition at bay.

The Liverpool centre-back was solid alongside defensive partner Simon Kjaer, intercepting passes across the back-line, making crucial clearances and reading the game to his usual high standard.

The Dutch peppered the Danish goal with a total of 27 shots and at times during the fixture in Kharkiv, Bert van Marwijk's side were relentless in their movement and pressing.

However, Agger and his side brought a five-game losing streak against the Netherlands to an end with their first win since June 22, 1992 and Kopites will be hoping for more of the same from their Great Dane....

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/agger-shines-in-denmark-win

The story has some pictures as well for those that like that sort of thing :)

Danny played well throughout, unlike supposed LFC target Nicklas Bentdner who was average to poor (a true legend in his own mind)

Dirk came on as a late substitute for the Dutch. He didn't have any time to influence the game and by the time he got on the Dutch were panicking as time run out.
你來紅的男子
Reply #13Sun 10/06/12 at 11:13

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
Agger played very well. I wouldn't mind seeing Kjaer sign for us either.
Reply #14Sun 10/06/12 at 11:24

Badmoon

• Kopworld Moderator
Agger played very well. I wouldn't mind seeing Kjaer sign for us either.
  Never even heard of him but dummied the entire defence to score, is quick, good control and quite direct - thought he was awesome in that game.