Kopworld Moderator
jcallen29 jcallen29
Kopworld Moderator
Badmoon Badmoon
Kopworld Moderator

Reply #30Mon 16/04/12 at 16:49

Hydieho

• Kopworld's Emlyn Hughes
But in this day and age, I am not sure the cups are as big as qualifying for the European Cup.

They are all important.

We exist to win trophies and of the three targets we had this seaosn we are on course to achieve two of them.

Reply #31Mon 16/04/12 at 16:55

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
But not the target was set as a priority. That is a fact.

I am not saying that the cup success has not been fantastic and very enjoyable, I am just saying it how it is. The owners said top four was the priority for the season.
Reply #32Mon 16/04/12 at 17:08

Hydieho

But not the target was set as a priority. That is a fact.

I am not saying that the cup success has not been fantastic and very enjoyable, I am just saying it how it is. The owners said top four was the priority for the season.

Well yes the league is the bread and butter, we all know that.

I don't really see your point, everyone agrees the league has been disappointing and the cups have been great.

Next season hopefully Dalglish will improve in the league and in the summer I am sure he will improve the squad.
Reply #33Mon 16/04/12 at 17:15

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
That is my point - we need to improve the squad to become more consistent and ultimately better.
Reply #34Mon 16/04/12 at 17:21

Hydieho

Fair enough, I think everyone would agree - even Dalglish.
Reply #35Mon 16/04/12 at 17:25

Ajmic

• Kopworld's Markus Babbel
Well winning cups will give us confidence to achieve targets for the next season...

a couple of key signings can get us there ... completely sure about that !!  :nod:
Reply #36Mon 16/04/12 at 18:10

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
Top four is going to be the target next season.

We need three or four signings of quality this Summer to bring the squad up to scratch.

I think we have loaned out two players better than two we have signed. I would rather see Cole and Aquilani playing for us than Downing and Adam.

I think both will leave in the Summer, however.

We need better than all four of those players though.

We need one or two strikers, depending on Carroll's status, two wingers and maybe a defender. Carragher should move on and play for someone else. I know he wants to a one club man, but he just hasn't been good enough this season. He would be fine somewhere like Wigan next season. In fact, I think he would be ideal for a relegation threatened side given his experience.

Coates may or may not be ready to be third choice there. He needs more playing time to indicate that.

Reply #37Mon 16/04/12 at 19:10

Hydieho

I see no need to buy a defender, with or without Carragher.  If Carragher stays then we have a clear first choice pairing in Skrtel / Agger and two able back ups.

If Carragher leaves, then we make Wisdom 4th choice, who is ready for a step up and it would be good to see him get some Europa games next season.

I'd like to see a couple of wide players (one being Hoillett on a free and one first choice one), with Sterling promoted to first team squad full time.

Upgrading Adam for a top centre midfield partner for Lucas.

Two strikers (one cheap young or experienced for the bench, one first choice)
Reply #38Mon 16/04/12 at 19:21

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
I certainly think that Sterling should be promoted to a role similar to that of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain at Arsenal.

He looks a better option than Downing for the future.
Reply #39Mon 16/04/12 at 19:26

Ian The Red

• Kopworld's Josemi
We are struggling because a number of players are being played on a weekly basis when they should only be squad players, whilst others are not getting the game time they deserve. We don't have the best squad in the league - far from it - but utilised better the players we currently have could be doing a lot better than they have been.
Reply #40Mon 16/04/12 at 19:41

Olivavu

• Kopworld Editor
I agree.

I would have Bellamy play on the left as often as he can and have Maxi covering when he needs to rest the knees.

Kuyt would be on the right for me. He is a better option for Henderson there. He can score goals, important ones often, and works his socks off defensively too.

Sterling should be used more next season, mainly from the bench, and I feel keeping Downing would hinder his progress if we were to sign someone better.

Hoilett would be a good choice to come in. Sterling and Bellamy could both play bit part roles next season with Hoilett taking a regular spot on either flank. Downing would only be a backup at best, and I think it would make more sense to sell him. He could bring in £12m tops, which is a smaller loss than we'd be likely to make on Carroll.

Reply #41Tue 17/04/12 at 18:38

Badmoon

• Kopworld Moderator
I think to win two competitions is really important to show progress and attract people because we arn't in the champions league.  To some extent this hides our failure this season because the league does not lie and is the benchmark for progress.

To win the competitions is great though but to be so poor in the league is very disappointing and despite us fans, fourth is massive to attract players, increase revenue and become more competitive - much more so than an fa cup even if we love the day.
Reply #42Tue 17/04/12 at 20:47

AlfarinIcebreaker

• Kopworld's Jamie Redknapp
I agree with the assesment that we have loaned out better players than those we bought. In fact, I'd add to that those that we sold :

Torres > Carroll

Meireles > Adam

Cole > Downing (Both have been poor though)

Aquilani > Henderson

Torres and Meireles were sold for 62 M Ł combined. Aquilani and Cole will probably go for 8 Ł combined. That's 70 M Ł from sales (not deducting the fees we paid for those players in the first place, mind).

On the other hand, we bought our British quartet for about 77 M. Which means we lost 7 M pounds and lowered the overall quality of the squad. Poor, poor business.
Reply #43Tue 17/04/12 at 21:42

Nicho

• Kopworld Moderator
I don't see how we lowered the overall quality of the squad. Have you forgotten how poor Dagen, Poulsen, Jovanovich, Koncheski, Cole (poor with us, worse than Downing)  & Aquilani (didn't want to be here and showed no better than Henderson) were?
Also we had a few journeyman types in Soto, Ngog and Insua. These three did at least contribute but not consistently. I really don't see how  this season squad can be considered weaker than the squad that finished last season.
The league results have been poor (with a lot of hard luck stories along the way) but we've reached two domestic cup finals.

PS - you also conveniently forgot the additions of Suarez, Bellamy and Enrique  :thumb:
你來紅的男子
Reply #44Tue 17/04/12 at 21:44

Badmoon

• Kopworld Moderator
I agree with the assesment that we have loaned out better players than those we bought. In fact, I'd add to that those that we sold :

Torres > Carroll

Meireles > Adam

Cole > Downing (Both have been poor though)

Aquilani > Henderson

Torres and Meireles were sold for 62 M Ł combined. Aquilani and Cole will probably go for 8 Ł combined. That's 70 M Ł from sales (not deducting the fees we paid for those players in the first place, mind).

On the other hand, we bought our British quartet for about 77 M. Which means we lost 7 M pounds and lowered the overall quality of the squad. Poor, poor business.

Totally agree - why spend the 35 million on carroll - no one thought that was good business.  Owners intent?  See what happens this summer but buying british and young is not the answer unless you buy the right players.  Alonso 10 million, Mach 18 - Hendersen same money......Adam nearly as much as alonso?  Buy abroad - look at cisse (Ba).