Liverpool still have Champions League destiny in their own hands.
That is despite the damaging defeat against Red Star Belgrade this week and the difficult prospect of taking on Paris Saint Germain and Napoli in the remaining two fixtures.
Next up for Jurgen Klopp’s side is a trip to France to take on Ligue 1 champions PSG at the Parc Des Princes before the final group game against Serie A side Napoli takes place at Anfield.
And these are the permutations that could see Jurgen Klopp’s side progress…
• Victory against PSG later this month would see Liverpool progress – provided Red Star Belgrade don’t beat Napoli on the same night
• Liverpool will seal a place in the knockout phase with a two-goal win over Napoli in the final group game – regardless of any other results
• A draw in France against PSG and a win over Napoli will see Klopp’s men safely through to the next phase of the competition
• Two draws against PSG and Napoli will see Liverpool make it out of the group if Red Star Belgrade can get something against the French club
• The Reds could progress with just a point, but it would require drawing with PSG, losing to Napoli and Red Star drawing or losing against the Italians and avoiding defeat against the French side
Despite wasting a great opportunity to seize control of the group last night, qualification is still in Liverpool’s hands.