Liverpool 0 – 3 West Ham


    After a fairly encouraging start for Liverpool to the new season, the wheels came off on matchday four, with the Reds suffering an embarrassing 3-0 defeat to West Ham United.

    Liverpool kicked off toward the Anfield Road end looking to continue their unbeaten form against the Hammers who had only collected 3 points from their opening three games of the season.

    It only took two minutes to break the deadlock at Anfield when United left back Aaron Cresswell blasted a shot into the corner of the net for the opening goal.

    New signing Roberto Firmino was inches from opening his Liverpool account with a ninth minute screamer that hit the post and cruelly bounced back, as the Reds looked to bounce back quickly from the poor start.

    Liverpool held 63% of the possession, but it proved useless in the 29th minute when Mark Noble hit the bottom right corner from the centre of the 18 yard box.

    Liverpool were on the back foot for the remainder of the half with Brazilian star Philippe Coutinho seeing yellow at the end of the half.

    The second 45 minutes opened up the same as the first ended, with a Brazilian booking. Identical to the first, it was Coutinho seeing yellow again, and the end of his day.

    61 minutes in saw the replacement of Liverpool’s Roberto Firmino for Danny Ings, who would help in the increased pressure Liverpool were adding to West Ham’s goal.

    Liverpool, still on the back foot, but looking eager to score were almost caught out by West Ham again, but for a heroic 75th minute save by Mignolet that kept West Ham within reach for The Reds.

    Referee Kevin Friend would be less than friendly toward United vice-captain Mark Noble in the 77th minute after Noble challenged Liverpool winger Danny Ings, and was shown red for said challenge.

    83 minutes in Liverpool continued to turn the screw with Benteke narrowly missing a goal from a corner kick.

    The nail was confidently slotted into the bottom right corner of Liverpool’s coffin when Diafra Sakho scored the third goal to end any hopes of a red revival minutes from the final whistle.

    3-0 would be the result for West Ham who get three points at Anfield for the first time in half a century. For Liverpool, disappointment and a less than confident future looms ahead with Manchester United awaiting their visit on September 12th.

    Previous articleMarkovic set for Fenerbahce move
    Next articleA harsh dose of reality for Rodgers?


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here