Newcastle United 0 – 6 Liverpool


    Well what a week it has been.  A very difficult week with what happened in the last game and the clubs and Brendans stance on the incident.  Suarez to his credit didnt contest the ban which was very severe so an away game against Newcastle was the last thing we needed after this week, or so we thought.

    Liverpool started very brightly and were spraying the ball around and Newcastle looked nervous, understandably after the defeat at hope against their bitter rivals only a week ago.  It didnt take long for Liverpool to take the lead when from a corner Newcastle pushed out but the ball was swung back in from Downing and Agger timed his run to perfection heading passed a helpless Elliot who could do nothing to prevent the goal.Sturridge was almost in in the 11th minute but he was wrongly flagged for offside but the keeper pulled off a self defence save.  Tiote no stranger to violent conduct himself fouled Sturridge and proceeded to rake down his leg but the referee didn’t see it.  A brilliant move sore the impressive Coutinho hit a pass with the outside of his right foot into the run of Sturridge who unselfishly squared to Henderson to knock into an open goal.

    Newcastle were being run ragged and Gutierrez pulled down Sturridge, Taylor then got booked for another foul on Sturridge. Johnson the got booked for the reds was booked in an innocuous looking challenge.  The reds lead 2-0 at half time.

    Newcastle came out of the blocks very well after bringing on Ben Arfa and Gouffran coming on for Gutierrez and Perch making way.  Newcastle were putting pressure on the reds putting the ball in the box but the reds defence held firm.  Liverpool broke with speed with the impressive Coutinho seeming to dally on the ball only to play a delightful through ball to Sturridge to smash high into the net to give the reds a 3-0 lead.  A lot of Geordies made for the exit and Pardew looked in despair with good reason for what was about to follow.

    Newcastle did have a good shot on goal from Ben Arfa and the ball hit Lucas on the arm but a penalty was not awarded which was the correct decision as Henderson couldn’t get out of the way of the ball.  Liverpool were in fine form and were 4-0 from another Sturridge goal as he even had time to take a touch before knocking it into an empty net and Newcastle were visibly crushed, Henderson the provider.
    Anita came on for Tiote for the bar codes as he was looking like he would get sent off.

    Borini was brought on for the reds for Gerrard and didn’t take long to make his mark.  He toe poked the ball past the keeper for his first league goal after some good play from Downing.

    If things couldn’t get any worse for Newcastle, the ball was played to left side of the box to Coutinho who put the ball passed Debuchy who sighted him down and was shown a second yellow and sent off.  Newcastle were then further punished as Henderson scored his 2nd direct from the free kick with the ball evading everyone in the box and finding its way into the net.

    Coutinho desperately wanted to get a goal smashed a rasper from 25 ywards but Elliot forced it onto the bar with a strong hand, shortly after being replaced by Suso and Sturridge taken off to be replaced by Shelvey.  The game ended with Liverpool acting like it was a training session and keeping possession to record their biggest away victory of the season and to put the last week out of their memories.  The derby to follow next…..

    Previous articleSuarez won’t appeal ban
    Next articleRodgers not interested in Fair Play Euro spot


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here