Redknapp picks combined XI

0

Former England midfielder Jamie Redknapp has picked a combined side containing players from Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur – two of his former sides.


The ex-Anfield captain has only selected three of Jurgen Klopp’s squad in his team alongside eight members of Mauricio Pochettino’s Spurs players.

Liverpool travel to London on Sunday to face Spurs at their temporary Wembley home in a crunch Premier League fixture.


Redknapp’s XI is:

GOALKEEPER: Hugo Lloris (Spurs)
RIGHT-BACK: Kieran Trippier (Spurs)
LEFT-BACK: Danny Rose (Spurs)
CENTRE-BACK: Jan Vertonghen (Spurs)
CENTRE-BACK: Toby Alderweireld (Spurs)
CENTRE-MIDFIELD: Eric Dier (Spurs)
CENTRE-MIDFIELD: Jordan Henderson (Liverpool)
CENTRE-MIDFIELD: Emre Can (Liverpool)
ATTACKING MIDFIELD: Christian Eriksen (Spurs)
ATTACKING MIDFIELD: Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool)
FORWARD: Harry Kane (Spurs)

Who would make it into your side?


Klopp doesn’t know about Coutinho agreement

0

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has said that he doesn’t know anything about an agreement to let Philippe Coutinho join Barcelona in the future.

The Spanish club made a trio of offers for the Brazil international in the Summer and all three were immediately rejected by the Reds – who refused to even enter negotiations.

Coutinho went on to make a formal transfer request in order to try and seal a move to the Camp Nou, but the club also refused to accept that and informed him that he would be going nowhere.

There have since been rumours and reports that the club made a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ with Coutinho that he would be allowed to move to Barcelona in 2018, but Klopp says he is in the dark about this.

“I’ve no clue. We will see. We don’t talk about things like this.” he said.


“Can you imagine what it would be like if I said ‘yes we have an agreement’?

“In this moment, the 100% truth is that nobody thinks about this. We don’t talk about it, why should we? In both cases it would not make sense – no, there is no agreement, yes, there is an agreement.

“It is not important in the moment. We have other moments when we have to talk about these things but not in October.

“In general, as a club, we have to still create a situation where players want to be part of it with all they have.

“In this moment, we have this. Nobody thinks about January, nobody thinks of June or July.

“Everyone wants to be part of this but there will come transfer windows and we will see what happens.” he finished.

Can tells fans not to doubt him

0

Liverpool midfielder Emre Can has told supporters not to doubt his commitment to the club.

The German international is out of contract at the end of the season and has been linked with a move to join Italian champions Juventus – speculation he says he is “honoured” by.

Many fans are expecting the former Bayer Leverkusen man to make a departure in 2018 and struggle to see agreement reached on a new contract with talks at a seeming impasse.

But Can has reassured people that he is “really enjoying” being a Liverpool player and is hopeful that trophies can be won this season.

“I made forward steps in my three years here.” he told the Daily Mail.

“It is my fourth season now in Liverpool and I played a lot of games. I am really enjoying being here. It is a great club.


“Of course I can play better sometimes, I know that, but I think my development has been good so far.

“I try to be better and I train hard for that. Why should my commitment be any different? I have a contract playing for the club, I earn my money here and I love to play for Liverpool.

“I don’t think about setbacks, or injury, when I am going out on the pitch. I only think about how I am going to help my team. Injury can always happen, but on the pitch I only think about how we can win the game.

“If you play for a big club like Liverpool, the goal always has to be to win and you have to win titles. That is our aim.

“Hopefully this year we will do that.” he finished.

Most fans would like to see the club lift some silverware this season and Can to put pen to paper on a contract extension.

Klopp says team are in title race

0

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has refused to give up on the Premier League title this season.

His side are trailing rivals Manchester City by nine points after just eight games of the 2017/18 season, but the German has refused to throw the towel in.

“We are still in the race, not with City in the moment because they have, I don’t how many points. We have all the other things.” he said.

“I don’t say already we should only fight for top four. Performance-wise we are a team that should be there, but now we have to get the results.

“That could be good news if you are happy with it but if the only thing you can be happy about is being first in the table then it is again like it was a few years ago.” he continued.

“We can make steps. From a very good season last year we can make steps this year. Position-wise I think it should be possible, but difficult with the few points we have given away.

“It is a long season, if we can bring in consistency and be more ruthless and more clinical in situations we can win games, I would say a lot.

“In the end we will see where it leads us but again it could be a good basis to build on for the next year. That’s how it is. It will not stop if we stay cool.” he finished.

Liverpool visit Spurs on Sunday afternoon and will need to avoid defeat to the London side, who are four points ahead of Klopp’s team at present.

Valverde refuses to rule out Coutinho bid

0

Barcelona manager Ernesto Valverde has refused to rule out the prospect of making another bid for Liverpool star Philippe Coutinho.

The former Athletic Bilbao boss was appointed by the Catalan club in the Summer and has overseen a fine start to the season with his side currently leading the way in La Liga.

But they remain keen to add to their ranks in the January transfer window and it seems that a fourth offer for the Brazil playmaker could be making its way to Anfield in the new year after Valverde refused to discount the notion.

“It is clear that Barcelona are always attentive to improving the team if it is possible.” he said.

“I say that as a club but at the same time, as a manager, I have the idea of getting the best out of the players I have and I do not look too much to other players.

“The players who are already here are the ones who have to pull forward and then, when the transfer window arrives, we will see.

“There are still two months left and there is time to plan new signings.” he finished.

Liverpool supporters will be very apprehensive of the Spanish club making another offer after Coutinho handed in a transfer request in the Summer to try and force a move.

Liverpool scout Benfica winger

0

Liverpool sent scouts to check on the progress of Benfica winger Nuno Santos.

That’s according to a report by Portuguese outlet Record, who are claiming that there were representatives from Anfield present as Benfica trounced CSKA Moscow 5-1 in the UEFA Youth League.

Santos found the back of the net twice in his side’s victory and impressed in a new number ten role for the Portuguese club’s youth side recently.

The teenager hasn’t actually made a first-team debut for the Super Eagles as yet and is a regular for their reserve side in the second tier of the Portuguese league system.

Santos followed up his brace against the Russians by netting in a 2-2 draw with Manchester United in the UEFA Youth League and is continuing to look a fine prospect.

Benfica made big profits in selling defender Victor Lindelof to United and Brazilian goalkeeper to Manchester City in the Summer and do not appear to be in a desperate position to let Santos go.

But it is looking increasingly likely that the eighteen year old will be snapped up by a club with bigger prospects at some point soon.

Wijnaldum out to end away day woes

0

Liverpool midfielder Gini Wijnaldum is out to end his barren run away from home.

The Holland international hasn’t scored an away goal in the Premier League since joining Newcastle United in the Summer of 2015 and subsequently moving to Anfield a year later.

In fact, the Dutchman hasn’t managed to net an away goal since a 3-2 victory for PSV Eindohven when they visited Den Haag back in May 2015. But he is determined to stop that run on Sunday.

“So I get the chance to do it , so I will try to score the goals.” he told Sky Sports.

“But first I have to help the team and if that is without scoring then that is it.

“But it would be nice to score a goal at Wembley!” he added.

Wijnaldum is pleased to see Philippe Coutinho still a Liverpool player after Spanish giants Barcelona spent the Summer trying to lure him to the Camp Nou.

“Normally if someone wants to go to another club you give him a hand and say ‘good luck’ because he did so many great things for this club.” he said.

“But Liverpool are also a team with ambitions and a team with Coutinho is better than a team without.

“That is why we want him to stay. It was a difficult situation but we’re all glad he stayed.

“You always have to wait to see how he settles again because he was disappointed, but he has done great.” he finished.

Liverpool supporters will be hopeful that both Wijnaldum and Coutinho will find themselves on the scoresheet on Sunday at Wembley.

Barcelona plan to meet Coutinho agent

0

Barcelona are planning a meeting with the agent of Liverpool playmaker Philippe Coutinho.

That’s the latest news coming out of Spain, with Mundo Deportivo claiming that the Spanish giants remain determined to broker a deal for the Brazil international.

Liverpool rejected three bids for the twenty-five year old in the Summer and insisted that he was not for sale and refused to enter any negotiations over an exit.

Coutinho handed in a transfer request in order to try and force through a move to the Camp Nou, but the club stood firm and told him that he would not be able to make an exit.

Barcelona have continued to pursue the former Inter Milan player since the transfer window closed and are expected to try and sign him in the new year when the transfer window opens.

Liverpool are likely to again reject any approach for the player most consider to be the best in Jurgen Klopp’s squad – especially if the team remain involved in the Champions League at that point.

Coutinho is likely to push for the move again next Summer after being denied the chance to make a childhood dream come true, but his attitude since returning to the squad cannot be questioned.

It doesn’t appear that will stop Barcelona from pursuing him through the media and his agents.

Hargreaves backs Klopp to reject Bayern

0

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp will resist any approach from Bayern Munich, according to Owen Hargreaves.

The ex-England international spent part of his playing career with the German giants and knows them well thanks to the time spent he was with them.

And he has backed former Borussia Dortmund boss Klopp to spurn any offers from the Bundesliga champions to quit Anfield and take over the reigns at the Allianz Arena.

“That was a conversation point back when, Klopp and Bayern Munich.” he told The Express.

“I just look at Klopp and Liverpool and the fan base – they’re a match made it heaven. They really are.

“He’s built something, it’s growing there. It takes time as it took time with Dortmund.”

“The thing is the Premier League is so much more competitive than the Bundesliga. Liverpool attacking wise are up there with anyone,” he said.

“But with Klopp give him time and with money he can try to address these problems.

“With Van Dijk and Keita this summer, he knows as well. I hope they stay together.

“It’s a special relationship there and they seem to suit each other.” he finished.

Bayern have appointed former manager Jupp Heynckes as a caretaker until the end of the season.

Milner won’t be sold in January

0

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp does not plan to let James Milner leave the club in January.

That’s according to an article in the Telegraph by Chris Bascombe, who says that the former England international remains part of Klopp’s plans for the remainder of the campaign.

Milner has been handed just two starts in the Premier League so far this season and looks likely to be returned to the bench for the trip to face Tottenham Hotspur at Wembley this weekend.

The ex-Manchester City man arrived at Anfield on a free transfer in the Summer of 2015 when his contract expired at The Etihad and he was a regular in his first two seasons.

But the vice-captain has struggled to get as much game time so far this campaign and could decide to assess his options when the transfer window opens in the new year.

There was plenty of interest in the thirty-one year old during the Summer transfer window with other Premier League sides looking to encourage him to call it quits at Anfield.

2015/16 champions Leicester City were very keen to persuade Milner to push for a move away from Liverpool after he spent last season covering the left-back spot in Klopp’s side.

Milner reportedly asked not to be considered for that position this season and has found himself used mainly as a utility man off the bench over the past couple of months.

Spaniard Alberto Moreno has been reinstated to the starting XI after it seemed that the former Sevilla man was certain to be sold in the Summer and he faces competition from Andrew Robertson, who arrived from relegated Hull City.

Milner played a key role in the 7-0 victory over Maribor in the Champions League this week and will be hoping he has done enough to convince Klopp to keep him in the side to face Spurs.

It does look likely that he will be allowed to move on at the end of the season, however, as he is on high wages for a peripheral player. Naby Keita will arrive from RB Leipzig also, which will push Milner further down the pecking order.